Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Incredible Shrinking Old Spice


Here's a shot of the latest shrinkage of the Old Spice deodorant case. Now $1.99 buys you a third less product. I've used Old Spice for a lot of years, and I swear when I started it was 6.25 ounces. Every once in a while they raise the price, then shrink the size, then drop the price back to the old amount. Now they're just shrinking the size and keeping the same price.

C'mon, Procter & Gamble! Give us a break! After all, how many of us Old Spice users are left?

Click the pic for an enlarged version

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this trend at least 10 years ago. The first time I noticed was with Hersey's candy bars. A single one had a net weight of 2.1 ounces. Now it is 1.6 ounces. It's not just Hersey's but Mars and almost all candy bars, along with a decrease in the net weight in packaged bags of candy.
I remember when they used to sell 32 ounce packages of Lucky Charms in supermarkets. Now the only place you find these are at places like Sam's Club and other big outlets where grocers go to resell the products for at least 2 times the price that they purchased them at. I used to go there when I purchased candy, canned fruit and vegetables, snacks, sugar, etc.... I'm sure more people are going to these outlets and stocking up on products that almost all manufacturers are decreasing product sizes. Also, generic is almost outselling name brands. "Brand Name" has a terrible reputation. I hope it shows up in their botton line.
What about shrinking yogurt packages? At one time Dannon and Yoplait used to sell yogurt in 8 ounce cartons and the quality was three times better. They're 6 ounces (4 ounces for Danactive) and I can't find any "fruit on the bottom" yogurt any more.